Grandma Grumney's Canned Italian Hot Pepper Rings
Posting this now because I use these peppers in several of my recipes.
Just a quick note: The longer these peppers sit, the better they taste! They go great with my homemade Italian Bread with butter.
- 1 gal
- 2 c
- quart jars for canning, lids & rings
- bushel, fresh picked hot peppers (or sweet) examples: hot hungarian wax, hot banana peppers, jalapeno, medium hot hungarian. (for sweet peppers, you can use sweet banana, etc.)
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, per quart
- 1/2-1 tsp
- italian seasoning mix, per quart
- 2-3 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin, per quart
- small, of alum (optional), per quart
- 1 gal
- 1 c
- pickling salt
- 1 c
- cider vinegar
TO MAKE THE OVERNIGHT BRINE
PREPARING PEPPERS & QUARTS
How to Make Grandma Grumney's Canned Italian Hot Pepper Rings
- 1Prepare peppers:
Wash peppers, drain. Then, wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands, cut into rings about 1/2" thick. Discard stem ends. Place cut pepper rings into a large stainless steel bowl or pan, or glass bowl.
Make brine using one gallon of water and 2 cups of salt, stir together until salt is dissolved.
Pour brine over peppers. Cover and allow to soak overnight. (10-12 hrs)
- 2Next day:
Prepare quart sized jars for canning peppers. Clean, & sterilize jars, lids & rings.
Place 2-3 cloves of garlic, Italian seasoning, EVOO, & alum (optional) in each quart sized jar.
- 3In a large stock pot, make canning solution of 1 gallon water, one cup pickling salt, & 1 cup cider vinegar. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- 4Drain peppers. **** Rinse lightly with cold water. Pack peppers into quart size jars with garlic, olive oil, and Italian seasoning, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Fill with canning solution. (make sure to release any air bubbles.
Clean rim of jar. Tightly place lids and rims on jars.
Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
(Do not process in pressure cooker. Peppers will get mushy & not stay crisp.)
- 5**** You may add small green tomatoes, small pickles, small pieces of cauliflower, &/ or carrot slices to make a hot pepper vegetable mix. Just soak vegetables in brine overnight with peppers
- 6Store away in a cool place to allow seasonings to work. Can be used after 4 weeks, but they get better and hotter as more time goes by.
For hot peppers and oil, pour peppers into a glass bowl and add 1/2 cup olive oil. Serve with fresh Italian bread and butter.