Sally Lunn Bread
Mom bought me one for Christmas and she has recommended this bread. It so quick and easy and delicious. The recipe recommends serving it warm or toasted with Chantilly Cream.
All recipes in this book are linked back to the founding of the United States and our Founding Fathers. The City Tavern was the unofficial meeting place for our first delegates to the Continental Congress. Absolutely delish. Bring on the butter!
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
- 2 c
- warm water (110 to 115 degrees f)
- 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- unslated butter, softened
- 1/4 c
- whole milk
- 2 large
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp
- 6 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
How to Make Sally Lunn Bread
- 1Grease 2 Bundt pans o two 7-cup tube molds with butter (I used two loaf pans and I used butter-flavored Crisco)
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk together the yeast and warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
- 3Fit the mixer with the dough hook and beat in the sugar, butter, milk, eggs, and salt. Mix in the flour, 1 cup at a time, to make a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic, adding only enough flour to prevent sticking. (I had to use almost 7 1/2 cups of flour--It was a cool day and I know that sometimes has something to do with it.)
- 4Transfer the dough to a large bowl coated with vegetable oil and turn the dough to coat all surfaces. Cover with a slightly damp towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled in size. (Trick I learned: Use a bath towel with an electric heating pad on the towel, place your bowl of dough on the heating pad. Cover the top of the bowl lightly with plastic film, wet and wring out a tea towel with hot water, wrap the top with the other side of the bath towel, turn on low to rise)
- 6Preheat the the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 7Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 8Remove the bread from the pans. Serve warm or cooled and toasted.
- 9CHANTILLY CREAM:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sifted confectioners'sugar
In a clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer on high speed, whip together the creama nd sugar until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The cream will keep for 2-3 days covered but you will need to rewhip it before serving.