How to Make Hickory Syrup
- Collect one pound of bark free of moss. Preheat oven to 350. Using a soft brush and water only clean bark.
- Place bark evenly on baking sheet and roast in oven for 30 min
- after 30 min bark should smell slightly spicy, remove and place in large pot, cover with enough water to cover, boil for 30 min
- After bark has boiled for 30min remove bark and keep for smokernor grill. Strain and measure water, return to a boil over medium heat.
- Once water has started boiling add sugar of equal amount as you have water (ie. one quart of water = one quart of sugar) and boil over medium low heat stirring until liquid has reduced my 30%
- while still hot pour syrup into pint jars and place lids on. Let cool, Jared should pop as they seal.