Gozitan Ftira without traveling to Malta
Thinly sliced potatoes are traditionally used at the base to add a crispy element and to soak up juices from toppings.
* Using your hands is the best way to do this but you can also use a mixer with a dough hook.
* I know this looks like a lot of steps and ingredients but that is because I broke it way down for easy of making.
* Prep time does not include rest time for dough.
*Never too much dough! When making smaller Gozitan ftajjar’s the leftover dough can be sprinkled
4 cbread flour
1 1/3 tspsugar
6 Tbspolive oil
1 1/3 cwarm water
1/4 cparmesan cheese, fresh grated
1potato, thinly sliced
2 clovegarlic, thin sliced
1/2red onion, thinly sliced
1tomato, thin sliced
1/2 cpulled pork
1/4 cgreen olives, sliced
How to Make Gozitan Ftira without traveling to Malta
- Prepare the dough day before you plan on serving.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
- Mix together the water and oil and slowly add to the dry mixture, mixing as you go along. (if your mixer has dough hook can use mixer)
- You should end up with a soft dough which you can start to knead.
- Knead the dough on a flat surface for about ten minutes until the dough is smooth. (or use dough hook on mixer for 10 minutes)
- Leave the dough in a covered bowl in a warm area for at least 3 hours.
- Now cover the bowl in cling wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C)
- At this point you decide what size you are making this is enough dough to make a 9x13 rectangle or cut into 4 equal size pieces for smaller Gozitan ftajjar.
- Place some flour on a flat surface and with a rolling pin roll out in the shape of your tray (Use a small rectangular tray or a large 9x13 rectangula).
- Roll the dough larger than your tray as the dough tends to spring back once placed on the tray.
- In your tray add some olive oil and sprinkle some semolina on top.
- Place the dough onto your oiled tray.
- Brush some olive oil on your Gozitan ftajjar.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over Gozitan ftajjar.
- Place thin sliced potato in single layer, going all the way out to the edges. (Place thinly sliced potatoes at the base adds a crispy element and soaks up the juices from the toppings, allowing the base to bake nicer.)
- Fold the edges of your Gozitan ftajjar a little to give a more rustic effect and also helps with shrinkage.
- Sprinkle with dried oregano and black pepper.