Ella's Absolutely Perfect Cracked Wheat Bread
Now, mom is near 90 and her bread baking days are long over. But, as I was going through her cookbooks yesterday, this incredible recipe fell to the floor.
So, this is for you mom... "Ella's Absolutely Perfect Cracked Wheat Bread"... just like you.
41/2-51/2 call purpose flour
3 ccracked wheat
2 pkgactive dry yeast
1/4 choney or sugar
3 Tbspsoftened butter
2 1/4 chot tap water
·cooking oil or butter
How to Make Ella's Absolutely Perfect Cracked Wheat Bread
- Combine 2 cups of all purpose flour, undissolved yeast, honey or sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir well to blend. Add butter and hot tap water.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add 2 cups cracked wheat. Beat with electric mixer at high speed for 1 minute until thick and elastic.
- Stir in remaining cracked wheat with a wooden spoon. Then gradually stir in just enough of remaining all purpose flour to make a soft dough which leaves the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto floured board.
- Knead 5 minutes or until dough is elastic. Cover with plastic wrap and then a towel. Let rest 20 minutes on board. Punch down. Divide dough in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Place in greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans. Brush dough lightly with oil. Cover pans loosely with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm, draft-free space for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until done. Cover loosely last 5-10 minutes if becoming too brown.
- Remove from pan immediately. Brush top crust with melted butter