Irish Brown Bread
This recipe has won ribbons for its tastiness. Chun do sláinte a!
How to Make Irish Brown Bread
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Sieve and combine all dry ingredients. Rub in butter by hand until flour is crumbly.
- Mix in the buttermilk. The dough will be sticky. Add more buttermilk as needed.
- Knead on a lightly floured board. Be careful not to over work the dough. Flatten the dough ball out. Place on a greased and lightly floured cookie sheet. Cut a cross into the top of the dough.
- Bake at 425 for 45 minutes. You will know the bread is done when you tap the bottom of the bread and it sounds hollow. Serve with butter.
- STORAGE: This is just as important as baking. Place the bread in a tea towel, wrap it entirely and sprinkle water on top of the cloth.