Hearty Oat and Whole Wheat Bread
1 coats, quick cooking
3 to 4 Tbspbutter
3 Tbspactive dry yeast
1/2 cwarm water
1/3 cbrown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tspsalt
4 3/4 cking arthur unbleached white whole wheat flour
·extra flour to work into flour until soft dough is formed
How to Make Hearty Oat and Whole Wheat Bread
- In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil and add the oats and butter. bring back up to a boil and stir and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
- In a small warm bowl add 1/2 cup warm water and add the yeast and 1 tblsp. of sugar. Set aside and let the yeast work.
- In a large bowl combine the brown sugar, salt and the 4 3/4 cups flour. Stir to combine dry ingredients.
- Add the yeast to the oatmeal mixture. Now add that mixture to the flour. Stir to combine. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn out on a floured surface and knead for until smooth and elastic. Adding only enough flour to get to that point.
- In a large glass bowl that has been greased, place the dough in the bowl and turn once to oil the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size. About 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and let rest covered for 10 minutes. Divide dough into two pieces. Either shape and bake as loaves of bread or divide into 18 pc.'s and shape into rolls. Place 9 rolls in two greased round cake pans.
- Cover and let rise for 45 to 55 minutes. Bake in oven at 350º for 30 minutes or until nice and browned.
- Remove from oven and remove rolls from pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool to warm and serve. Makes 18 rolls.