Honey Molasses Light Rye Bread For A KitchenAid
Recipe Source: KitchenAid
- cup honey
- cup light molasses
- tsp. salt
- tb. butter
- tb. caraway (optional)
- cup boiling water
- packets active dry yeast (i always use red star quick rise yeast.)
- cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- cups rye flour (i used hodgson mill whole grain 100% stone ground rye) whole grains provide a smaller rise, but add a nutty flavor and nice texture.
- 3 1/2-4
- cups ap flour
How to Make Honey Molasses Light Rye Bread For A KitchenAid
- 1Place honey, molasses, salt, butter, caraway, (if using) and boiling water in small bowl. Stir until honey dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.
- 2Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Add lukewarm honey mixture, rye flour and 1 cup AP flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to speed 2 and mix about 1 minute. Stop and scrape bowl, if necessary. (Never go above speed 2 when making bread dough.)
- 3Continue on speed 2, adding remaining AP flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl or about 2 minutes. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer.
**From KitchenAid: "Some doughs may occasionally climb over the collar of the hook. This usually indicates that the dough is sticky and more flour should be added."
- 4Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with sprayed saran wrap. Let rise in warm place, free from drafts, for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- 5Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover. Let rise in warm place free from drafts, 45-60 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. (Mine didn't take this long.) Cover loaves with aluminum foil if they are browning to quickly. Remove from baking sheets immediately and cool completely on wire racks. Brush tops with melted butter.
*See my hint at top about cooling when just warm to the touch in loose foil. It retains moisture.
- 7Per serving: 96 calories, 2 g. protein, 20 g. carbs, 1 g. fat, 0 mg chol., 143 mg sodium.