CHALLAH BREAD (Braided Egg Bread)
- 2 c
- bread flour
- 1 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 tsp
- salt (plain, not iodized)
- 1 c
- warm water (110 degrees f)
- 1 pkg
- active dry yeast
- 2 large
- eggs, beaten (plus 1 for glaze)
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil (plus extra for greasing bowl)
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/2 stick
- salted butter (4 tablespoons)
How to Make CHALLAH BREAD (Braided Egg Bread)
- 2In bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook or processor with blade, on low speed, combine flours, sugar and salt.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap or a clean, damp kitchen towel.
- 10Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- 12Roll each piece to form a long fat rope.
- 14Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- 15Place loaf on lined sheet pan; cover, place in warm spot and let rise for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- 16Place oven rack in middle position; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.