CHALLAH BREAD (Braided Egg Bread)
2 cbread flour
1 3/4 call purpose flour
1/3 cgranulated sugar
1 tspsalt (plain, not iodized)
1 cwarm water (110 degrees f)
1 pkgactive dry yeast
2 largeeggs, beaten (plus 1 for glaze)
1/4 cvegetable oil (plus extra for greasing bowl)
·poppy seeds or sesame seeds (optional)
1/2 sticksalted butter (4 tablespoons)
How to Make CHALLAH BREAD (Braided Egg Bread)
- In bowl of mixer fitted with dough hook or processor with blade, on low speed, combine flours, sugar and salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean, damp kitchen towel.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll each piece to form a long fat rope.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place loaf on lined sheet pan; cover, place in warm spot and let rise for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Place oven rack in middle position; preheat oven to 350 degrees F.