Think of the possibilities: Smoked Mozzarella on a white pizza with basil, Roma tomatoes and red onion, smoked cheddar with ham on a baguette, smoked Gouda on....ANYTHING.
Pick up a smoker cheap now that summer is coming to a close and make your own smoked cheeses.
1 hour of your time!
- 8 oz
- medium cheddar cheese, cut into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 4" blocks
- 8 oz
- mozzarella cheese, cut into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 4" blocks
- 8 oz
- gouda cheese, cut into 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 4" blocks
- you get the point....smoke any cheese you want
- ice cubes to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish
How to Make Smoked Cheese
- 1Prepare your smoker. Using wood chips of your choice (today I am using Apple chips soaked in water for about 30 min.) preheat the smoker to 120 degrees (be sure to use an external oven temperature gauge to make sure the smoker temp and the external oven temp are in the same range.
- 2While the smoker is heating you are cutting your cheeses into fairly uniform blocks (see the picture). I don't like mess so I line the bottom of my cheese smoking cake pan with foil (you don't have to do this)
- 3Now fill 1/2 way another baking dish with ice cubes. This is going to keep your cheese from melting but allow the smoke to distribute well among the cheese.
- 4When smoker is at 120 degrees F. QUICKLY put cheese tray on top and ice cube tray directly underneath that...try not to let the smoke escape. Shut and lock the door.
- 5Smoke ONLY for 20 minutes at 120F then shut off the smoker....DO NOT open it for 40 minutes.
- 6At the end of 40 minutes, bring in the cheese and wrap individually in plastic wrap and place in the fridge. Do not open or slice cheese for 2 days.