Fresh Green Bean Soup
In the summer I have been known to boil beans and carrots from the garden and freeze them in soup-sized packages for this soup because who wants soup in the summer?
How to Make Fresh Green Bean Soup
- 1In a large pot bring some salted water to a boil and put in the beans, carrots and potatoes. Let them cook until tender.
- 2In a frying pan start frying out the bacon. You can cut it up first or break it up later; up to you. Remove bacon from fat and drain.
- 3In the bacon fat fry the chopped onion and garlic. When softened you can remove and add to the boiling pot or just start adding the flour. If you are using all of the fat you might need up to a 1/2 cup. Stir in slowly until it is bubbly and the thickness of pancake batter, Be careful not to burn!
- 4Add scoops of this thick roux to the pot of boiling veggies. It makes a cool sizzling noise as it goes in. Simmer in between additions to see how thick it is getting. Stop when it is as thick as you like.
- 5Now season the soup with whatever seasonings you like and let is simmer another 15 minutes or so. I generally use salt and pepper, maybe a bit of cumin or curry and some hot pepper flakes.