Chilled Green Pea Soup with Mint and Avocado
Andy Anderson !
Although this soup is cooked and then cooled, you can skip the cooking and make the soup entirely in the blender. In addition, skip the chicken stock and substitute vegetable stock and make it vegan.
I will update this recipe with photos, when I get the chance.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
3 Tbspsweet butter, unsalted, or olive oil (extra virgin)
1 mediumyellow onion, finely chopped
1 stalk(s)celery, finely chopped
4 cchicken stock, divided
6 cfresh peas or frozen peas, thawed (recommend fresh)
1/4 cfresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/4 cfresh mint leaves
1 tspfresh dill, finely chopped
1 Tbspfreshly squeezed lemon juice
1 mediumripe avocado, halved, stone removed, and flesh scraped out
·salt, kosher variety, to taste
·freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 ccrème fraîche, for garnish
How to Make Chilled Green Pea Soup with Mint and Avocado
- Gather your ingredients.
- Place the stock in a saucepan and bring up to a lite simmer.
- Place the butter (or olive oil) in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the celery, and stir with a wooden spoon until the veggies are softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add two cups of the chicken stock, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the peas, and then immediately reduce the pot to a lite simmer.
- Allow the pot to lightly simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and add the remainder of the ingredients with the exception of the crème fraîche, salt, and pepper.
- Purée the soup in a blender, and then season with the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to strain the soup.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve cool, with a dollop of crème fraîche. Enjoy.