Chicken Soup w/ Sweet Potato, Crimini, Leek,& Kale
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, light
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 qt
- low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium
- sweet potatoes
- 2 c
- crimini mushrooms, sliced (also called baby portobellos)
- 1/2 c
- leek, sliced thin (whites and greens)
- 4 c
- fresh kale, torn away from rib (leaves only)
How to Make Chicken Soup w/ Sweet Potato, Crimini, Leek,& Kale
- 1Heat olive oil in a med.-sized skillet. Trim any fat or sinew away from chicken breasts. Sprinkle and season the chicken breast w/ the garlic-herb seasoning. Rub seasoning all over, both sides.
Cook chx. breasts over med-low heat, until nicely browned. Set aside. They don't need to be cooked thoroughly all the way through ... they will finish cooking in the soup.
- 2Pour 2 qts. of low sodium chx. broth into saucepan or soup pot; turn heat to med-high and begin heating the broth while preparing veggies.
- 3Pare and peel potatoes, clean and slice mushrooms, slice leek into 1/8" slivers. I use some of the green part, too, for color. Tear kale away from the ribs; discard ribs. Tear kale into about 1" pieces.
Add all veggies to the chicken broth.
- 4Cut up the two pre-cooked chicken breasts, and add them and all the juices to the soup pot.
Turn heat to medium, bring everything to a slow simmer, then cover and turn to low. Simmer on low for about 25 mins, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and the kale is tender.
No need to season further, if you've used a mixed seasoning blend, like Mrs. Dash. I did add a little pepper to mine, at the table, and it gave it a nice 'kick'.