Sherry's Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl
- 1 lb
- medium shrimp, deveined (use the shells and tails only--set the shrimp aside)
- 4 c
- chicken broth, divided into 2 2c portions
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- ginger paste
- 1 bottle
- clam juice (8 oz)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 c
- red bell pepper, thin matchsticks
- 1/2 c
- green bell pepper, thin matchsticks
- 1 small
- onion, thin slices
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 2 c
- cabbage, shredded and chopped
- 1 c
- snow peas, cut on the diagonal 1" slice
- 3/4 c
- carrots, finely shredded
- 3 Tbsp
- asian chile garlic sauce (i buy sambal oelek)
- 1 Tbsp
- red chile pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp
- sriracha sauce
- 6 oz
- rice sticks or noodles
- cilantro to taste
- lime to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
MAKING THE STOCK:
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
How to Make Sherry's Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl
- 1Peel the shrimp, putting the shrimp casings and tails in a large saucepan. Set the cleaned, deveined shrimp aside to add later.
- 2To the casings add 2 cups chicken broth, clam juice, water and ginger.
- 3Bring to a boil, lower the temperature and just simmer for 10 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine sieve. You now have a very rich broth.
- 5Add the rich shrimp broth, the other 2 cups of chicken broth, and everything else EXCEPT the shrimp, rice noodles, cilantro and lime slices.
- 6Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and broken up rice sticks/noodles (my mom prefers to use 2 packages of Ramen Noodles-broken up).
- 7**NOTE: If using raw shrimp, cook just until it turns pink and noodles are soft. If using cooked shrimp, just heat through a few minutes.
- 8Garnish bowls of soup with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.