Sauerkraut Super Simple MMB
Note: you can use all the same type of salt of you prefer.
How to Make Sauerkraut Super Simple MMB
- Other items you’ll need:
A really large bowl
8 to 10 pint size canning jars with lids. The number of jars will depend on how big you our heads of cabbage are.
- Put the shredded cabbage in the large bowl and sprinkle with the first 2 tablespoons of salt.
Massage the salt into the cabbage for about 5 minutes. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Find a cool place to set your jars for the next 10 -14 days. I use my clothes dryer.
Once you have your jars in place, unscrew the lids and let them just sit on the jar.
NOTE: make sure the cabbage stays below the liquid. If the cabbage expands, as it will sometimes, make another half a batch of brine and pour over the top of it so there is always brine over the cabbage. Otherwise you could grow mold.
- Every other day, tighten the lids & gently shake the jars, then unscrew the lid.
If you leave the lids tightened, there is a good chance your jar could explode.
- After 10-14 days, your cabbage should be sufficiently wilted.
Tighten the lids & place in the refrigerator. Refrigeration will stop the wilting process.
- The jars will keep in the fridge for about 6 months.