Jean's Sugar-Free Candied Yams w/out Marshmallows!
How to Make Jean's Sugar-Free Candied Yams w/out Marshmallows!
- 1The amount of Yams is up to you. I usually buy about 10-12 yams and it will feed at least 12 people depending on your eaters. Mamma used the old method for this recipe.. a pinch of that, a drizzle of this and a pad of that... lol
- 2Wash and Peel your yams
- 3chop yams cottage style
- 4place yams in the bottom of a foil pain large enough to have a single layer of yams, this makes the candy process yummier,
- 5drizzle orange juice over yams - lightly covered - I probably only use barely an 1/8 of cup
- 6take butter and slice into pads. Place butter pads between yam slices - nothing fancy just thrown them down,
- 7Drizzle honey over yams til well covered, or to your liking.
- 8Pour your Pure Maple Syrup over the yams covering really well. For a huge pan of yams, I use a full bottle of syrup. Adjust your syrup accordingly. You want them well covered but not drowned as it just takes too long to candy if there is too much liquid.
- 9cover with foil and place in an oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Check and if they are not tender cook bit longer. Adjust your cooking time accordingly, you want your yams but not mushy, just cook til tender.
- 10Once your yams are tender throughout, take the foil off and put pan back in an oven of 425 and bake until your yams are sticky, gooey and fully candied. It takes about 30-45 minutes longer for them to candy (depending on quantity of yams in pan). Make sure your pan is in the middle of the oven so they don't burn too easily.