Fried Cabbage Crepes Croquetta Polish recipe
FOR THE FILLING
1head of cabbage. (if large, use 1/2 head)
8strips of bacon (or rendered bacon fat) 1-2 tablespoons
·salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE CREPES
1 call purpose flour
1 1/2 cmilk
·plain bread crumbs enough to dip crepes in
1egg, beaten for dipping crepes in
How to Make Fried Cabbage Crepes Croquetta Polish recipe
- Chunk up the cabbage. In a large pot of boiling water, add the cabbage and cook until very tender.
Drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon on paper toweling and save.
In the bacon grease, add your chopped onion and cabbage. If mixture gets dry, add some vegetable oil.
Saute your mixture until it starts to brown a little.
At this point, I use a food processor to blend the cooked cabbage into almost a paste consistency. You can also just chop it up.
- FOR THE CREPES:
Mix all ingredients together. Ladle or pour batter into a greased small frying pan tilting and swirling the batter until you get a thin round layer of the batter evenly distributed in the pan. Cook until it starts to look dry and browning around the edges. Flip it over and cook a few minutes more. Set aside on a plate.
- Fill each crepe with the filling. Carefully fold crepe into an envelope to contain the filling.
- Dip each filled crepe into the beaten egg and then plain bread crumbs until it is well coated.
In the same large frying pan that you made the filling, wipe out any filling that is left and fill with vegetable oil to about 1/2 inch up the side of the pan. Get the oil nice and hot (a drop of water will dance and sing when the oil is hot enough)
- Fry each crepe a few at a time until golden brown on all sides.
- This recipe can be made in advance up to step 4. When ready to serve, fry the breaded crepes as in step 5.
Best served warm and right away.