Moroccan Pickled Carrots
- 1 1/4 lb
- whole carrots, scraped and c
- peel of one lemon, removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- plump garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- dried hot red chilies
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- kosher salt
- 2 tsp
- cumin seeds, cracked
- 2 tsp
- coriander seeds, cracked
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Moroccan Pickled Carrots
- 1Tightly pack carrot sticks longways in a clean 1 qt mason jar you should have two layers.
- 2Top carrots with garlic, lemon peel and chili peppers, crumbling one of the peppers. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- 3Bring water, salt, vinegar, sugar, cumin and coriander to a boil over medium high heat stirring occasionally. Once sugar has fully dissolved, continue to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- 4Pour brine over carrots in increments, pausing to let brine settle down between carrots. Using a long utensil handle, gentle prod between the carrots to aid the settling. Continue until brine reaches 1/4 from the rim.
- 5Cover tightly and refrigerate a minimum of 3 days before eating. Tastes best after 1 week. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.