Moroccan Pickled Carrots
1 1/4 lbwhole carrots, scraped and c
1peel of one lemon, removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
4plump garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4dried hot red chilies
1 1/2 cwater
1 capple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbspkosher salt
2 tspcumin seeds, cracked
2 tspcoriander seeds, cracked
How to Make Moroccan Pickled Carrots
- Tightly pack carrot sticks longways in a clean 1 qt mason jar you should have two layers.
- Top carrots with garlic, lemon peel and chili peppers, crumbling one of the peppers. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- Bring water, salt, vinegar, sugar, cumin and coriander to a boil over medium high heat stirring occasionally. Once sugar has fully dissolved, continue to boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour brine over carrots in increments, pausing to let brine settle down between carrots. Using a long utensil handle, gentle prod between the carrots to aid the settling. Continue until brine reaches 1/4 from the rim.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate a minimum of 3 days before eating. Tastes best after 1 week. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to six weeks.