Cucumbers & Onions in Vinegar
someonion, sliced into thin rings
someapple cider vinegar
somewhite sugar or sweetener, optional
somesalt & pepper
somewhite vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar
How to Make Cucumbers & Onions in Vinegar
- Yes, the amounts are vague because it just depends on how much you want to make. You will want to taste along the way until you find the exact "taste" your family will enjoy. This is how I do it.
- Pour apple cider vinegar over the cucumbers and onions. I use about 1/3 cup to start.
- Then I add a splash of water, about 1/6 of a cup, or half of the amount of vinegar.
- This next step is totally CONTROVERSIAL in West Virginia, so I hesitate to start another Civil War and divide the state, but I sprinkle in a little sugar, maybe a Tablespoon.
- Stir together and add salt & pepper, to taste. You can serve it immediately or cover the bowl and let it "set" in the refrigerator for a half hour or so. Mom always made it first, then fixed dinner while the cucumbers soaked up the deliciousness in the fridge. Serve with every summer dinner and make more wonderful food memories with your family. =^..^=