Heirloom Tomato Ketchup from Organic Homesteading
associated with decreased risk of chronic diseases. This recipe has half the
salt of regular ketchup.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1/2 tspyellow mustard seeds
1/2 tspcelery seeds
1/4 tspwhole allspice
1/4 tspblack peppercorns
3 lbheirloom tomatoes cut in chunks (about 4-1/2 cups)
2 conion, chopped (1 medium)
1 cred bell peppers, chopped
1/3 ccider vinegar
1 Tbspsugar (substitute honey, stevia, or maple syrup)
1/2 tspsalt (or to taste)
How to Make Heirloom Tomato Ketchup from Organic Homesteading
- Chop garlic; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place mustard seeds and next 3 ingredients on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely.
- Combine cheesecloth bag, garlic, tomatoes and next 3 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove cheesecloth bag and set aside.
- Place half of the tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece or blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over the opening (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
- Strain smooth mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
- Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture.
- Return mixture to pan. Add cheesecloth bag, sugar and salt, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until reduced to 1 cup (about 45 minutes. Makes 1 cup.