Blackberry Pecan Jelly
I hope if your up for the challenge take on this wonderful recipe! It's so amazing! Enjoy!
- 5 c
- crushed blackberries (crush with potatoe masher)
- 7 c
- 1 pkg
- dry pectin (1 3/4 oz)
- 1 c
- crushed pecans (optional)
- 1 medium
- limes, juiced
- large canning stock pot
- hot boiling water
- jelly jars (8 oz)
- strainer ( if you dont want seeds)
- jar lift (special tonges) wide grip ( can purchase a canning starters kit at walmart)
- clean wet rag(to clean off edges of jars)
ITEMS YOU WILL NEED TO CAN YOUR JELLY
How to Make Blackberry Pecan Jelly
- 1Sterilizing your jars and rings, there are many ways to do this, here is a selection you can choose from, I do mine in the dishwasher ! Much faster!
This method is great if you’re short on time. Wash the jars in the dishwasher and then simply leave them there until ready to fill. Keeping the door to the dishwasher closed keeps in the steam and heat. Remove the jars a couple at a time as needed.
Stove Top Method
1.Place your jars in a canner right side up.
2.Then, fill the canner with water, stopping an inch above the jars.
3.Bring the water to a boil and continue boiling for 10 minutes.
4.Reduce the heat and keep the jars in the hot water until you’re ready to fill them.
If you live above 1,000 feet in altitude, add one minute of boiling time for each 1,000 foot increase in elevation.
1.Preheat your oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to adjust the oven racks to accommodate the jar’s height.
2.Arrange your jars, lids, and bands on the cookie sheets. Leave space between them for the hot air to circulate. If you’re reusing Mason jars from previous years, remove the lids and bands from those jars so that everything is open and separated before you put your equipment in the oven.
3.Place the cookie sheets with your jars, lids, and bands on them in your preheated oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes, and do not remove anything or open the oven door before these 10 minutes have elapsed. If more than 10 minutes elapses, that’s OK, but 10 minutes at that temperature is all you need.
4.Turn the oven off and leave the jars, lids, and bands in the oven to keep them warm until you’re ready to use them for canning. Although 225 degrees is a comparatively low oven temperature, always use oven mitts or thick hand towels to handle anything you take out of your oven.
- 9Remove and set them upright on a towel to set for 12 hours. LEAVE THE RINGS ON, YOU WILL HEAR POPPING NOISES, THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR!!!
ONCE JARS HAVE SET FOR NO MORE THAN 12 HOURS, (VERY IMPORTANT) REMOVE THE RINGS, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO EVER KNOW IF YOUR JARS SEALED PROPERLY,OTHERWISE YOU WONT KNOW YOUR FOOD IS SPOILED UNTILL YOU SMEALL SOMETHING HORRIED IN THE CUPBOARDS! TRUST ME!!!
- 10Date your jars with cute labels or just use a black permanent marker, use with in 3years of date ! And enjoy!!!!!!!