Italian Tomato Starter Sauce
Andy Anderson !
It’s quick, easy, and my go-to recipe when I want authentic Italian tomato sauce. I use it on pasta, calzones, lasagna, and even pizzas. Give it a try and I think that you’ll agree that it’s pure Italian.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1/2 large
- yellow onion, diced, about 4 ounces
- 2 clove
- garlic, sliced as thin as you can manage
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 medium
- carrot, shredded, about 2 ounces
- 1/8 c
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 28 oz can(s)
- peeled whole tomatoes
- salt, kosher variety, to taste
- 1 pinch
- black pepper, freshly ground
How to Make Italian Tomato Starter Sauce
- 1Chef’s Note: I call this a starter sauce because it’s one that most good Italian chefs know… However, you could add a lot of different ingredients to this starter. For example: artichokes, how about some crushed red pepper and some ground beef, and get a start on a nice easy puttanesca, black olives… mix it up. But I’ll say this… this sauce totally stands up on its own. It doesn’t need any help.
In addition, if you want a smoother sauce; like a marinara, just put it into a blender and give it a few pulses.