Port Wine & Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
CHEDDAR CHEESE BASE
1 lbsharp cheddar, very finely grated
3/4 chalf and half
1 1/2 tspkosher salt
1/4 tspcayenne pepper or ground white pepper
PORT WINE SWIRL
1/2 cyour favorite, sweet, port wine
1 pkgknox unflavored gelatine
1/4 cparmesan cheese, finely grated
How to Make Port Wine & Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
- Using room temperature wine, place in small bowl and add gelatine; mix well. Add parmesan cheese and dissolve by stirring constantly with a small whisk. Set aside and let gelatine form.
- Heat half & half in a saucepan until bubbles form around edge of pan; do not boil.
- Place grated cheddar in food processor. Slowly add half & half and mix until cheese is smooth and silky. Add salt and pepper.
- In a serving bowl, place 1/3 of the cheese mixture on the bottom. Dollop 1/3 of the port wine "jelly" on to the cheese. Using a chopstick, "marble" the port, but not mixing completely with the cheddar. Repeat this step two more times. Remember, the last time you do this step is your "presentation". Swirl carefully!
- Chill for at least 6 hours so the flavors can marry. When ready to serve, let come up to [nearly] room temperature. Enjoy!