Port Wine & Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
- 1 lb
- sharp cheddar, very finely grated
- 3/4 c
- half and half
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper or ground white pepper
- 1/2 c
- your favorite, sweet, port wine
- 1 pkg
- knox unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 c
- parmesan cheese, finely grated
CHEDDAR CHEESE BASE
PORT WINE SWIRL
How to Make Port Wine & Sharp Cheddar Cheese Spread
- 1Using room temperature wine, place in small bowl and add gelatine; mix well. Add parmesan cheese and dissolve by stirring constantly with a small whisk. Set aside and let gelatine form.
- 2Heat half & half in a saucepan until bubbles form around edge of pan; do not boil.
- 3Place grated cheddar in food processor. Slowly add half & half and mix until cheese is smooth and silky. Add salt and pepper.
- 4In a serving bowl, place 1/3 of the cheese mixture on the bottom. Dollop 1/3 of the port wine "jelly" on to the cheese. Using a chopstick, "marble" the port, but not mixing completely with the cheddar. Repeat this step two more times. Remember, the last time you do this step is your "presentation". Swirl carefully!
- 5Chill for at least 6 hours so the flavors can marry. When ready to serve, let come up to [nearly] room temperature. Enjoy!