State Fair Smoked Turkey Legs
1 1/2 galwater
1 cdry rub barbecue seasoning
1/2 cmorton's tender quick salt
1/2 cbrown sugar, packed
3 tspliquid smoke
How to Make State Fair Smoked Turkey Legs
- Bring all ingredients EXCEPT Turkey to a boil. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Let it sit to room temperature. Put the brine in the fridge to get cold.
- Slide your fingers under the turkey leg skins to separate the turkey meat from the skin. Do not remove the skin, but slide it to the bottom of the leg.
- ***Note You want to brine the meat. So leave the skin around the bottom of the leg.
- Place the cold marinade into a food-safe bucket....they are cheap and easy to find. Add the turkey legs with the skin around the turkey's ankles. Let sit in the fridge overnight and up to 24 hours.
- ******Note Be careful, the longer it sits in the brine the less your meat will remain in a solid state....I personally prefer overnight.
- Preheat the smoker to 250. I used apple wood chips. Place the turkey legs on the smoker girll and allow to smoke for 1 1/2 hours....flip the legs over and continue for another 1 1/2 hours.