Mertzie's Pesto, Cheese & Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- lb. box lasagna noodles (not oven ready)
- lb. container ricotta
- lb. mozzarella and/or provolone, shredded
- cup parmesan
- package frozen spinach (thawed)
- tsp nutmeg
- tsp fennel seeds
- tbs minced garlic
- salt & pepper
- tbs italian seasoning
- marinara sauce (either one jar or homemade)
- cup pesto (i used jarred, but you could make fresh)
How to Make Mertzie's Pesto, Cheese & Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- 1The night before, I like to: drain the heck out of the thawed spinach in a strainer & squeeze out. Refrigerate w/ some paper towels to get out excess water. I also drain any excess moisture from ricotta cheese, and then mix the ricotta, parm, 1/2 of the mozzarella/provolone mix (so about 1 cup); salt, pepper, nutmeg, fennel, garlic & Italian seasoning. When mixed well, I refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
- 2Day of: Heat oven to 350. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water w/ a good dose of salt until just done. Drain on wax paper in single layers. (I take out the lasagna with tongs).
- 3If the ricotta mix has any liquid, drain that, then mix in the 2 eggs. Squeeze out any excess moisture from spinach & then add to ricotta mix. Stir well to blend.
- 4Pour enough sauce in your baking pan to cover bottom. (If using jarred spaghetti sauce, add about 1/2 cup of tomato paste to it to help it stay thick & not watery).
- 5Now, you can start filling your noodles. Spread pesto onto each lasagna noodle, then cut the noodle in half. At one end of each noodle, put about a tablespoon of ricotta/spinach mix, and then roll up. Lay in baking pan, seam side down. Continue until all of your ricotta mix is used.
- 6Sprinkle the rest of the shredded mozzarella over top & then add some more grated parm, as well. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes covered, and about 5-10 minutes uncovered, depending how golden you like your cheese. I don't like mine brown.
- 7Serve with additional heated sauce, if you like (this is one of the few pastas that I don't smother in sauce, as the pesto gives it plenty of flavor!) a fresh salad, and Italian bread for a yummy meal. Enjoy!