HOME MADE CUMBERLAND STYLE SAUSAGE
88.4 % Pork Shoulder
21.6 % Fat Belly
(To be honest we didn't get so technical with this bit but we found that our pork mix was probably about right for this)
10 % Iced Water
10 % Breadcrumb (these are optional...we often don't bother to put breadcrumbs in)
0.8 % Phosphate (didn't bother with this)
Seasoning is 2.9 % of the weight of the meat.
2 lb(884g) pork shoulder butt
71/2 oz(216g) pork belly
SEASONING IS FOR 2.2LBS,(THE NUMBER IN BRACKETS IS FOR 11LBS/5KGS)
·salt = 15.2g (76g)
·black pepper = 1.5g (7.5g)
·white pepper = 1.5g (7.5g)
·cayenne = 0.2g (1g)
·dextrose = 1.7g (8.5g)
·ground coriander =1.55g (7.75g)
·nutmeg =1.55g (7.75)
·mace =0.78g (3.9)
·sage =2.3g (11.5)
·thyme = 1.27g (6.35g)
·parsley =1.27g (6.35g)
·31/2 fluid oz (1pint) - 100ml (500ml) iced water
How to Make HOME MADE CUMBERLAND STYLE SAUSAGE
- Before you begin make sure you have put some water to chill..it needs to be ice cold. You'll need just over 3 fluid oz / 100mls per 2.2lbs / kg
- Mince cold meats through 8 mm plate into a bowl.
- Add iced water and mix, add Seasoning and mix.
Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat so it's better better mixed in.
If the meat starts to get warm put it in the fridge to cool down again ...it should be really cold and by the end of it your hands should ache.
- Put it all through the mincer again.
- Allow to stand about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Stuff more fully that you would normally and coil instead of link them...the picture of these though is the ones that were at the end (well I couldn't just leave them and there had to be a quality test)