Original Crawfish or Shrimp Monica
1 lbpasta (fettuccine, linguine, rotini, penne, or bowties
1 lbcrawfish tails and fat (louisiana - don't use chinese)
1 stickbutter (don't use margarine)
1 pthalf and half
1 largebunch green onions and tops, sliced
1-2 Tbspgarlic, minced
·creole seasoning and salt to taste
How to Make Original Crawfish or Shrimp Monica
- Cook pasta in salt water according to the directions on the package. Drain, then rinse under cool water. Drain again, thoroughly.
- Melt the butter in a large pot and saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes.
- *If using shrimp, add the raw shrimp to the onions and garlic at this time.
- Add the crawfish or shrimp and half-and-half, saute until bubbly.
- Add Creole seasoning - 1 big pinch then taste. Add more as needed but tasting before adding the next pinch until you think it's right. If you've boiled your own shrimp or crawfish add the crawfish fat to the pot as well.
- Cook for 5 - 10 minutes over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Add the pasta to the pot and toss well. Let it sit for about 10 minutes over very low heat, stirring often.
- Serve immediately, with lots of French bread and a nice white wine.
- *COOKS NOTE: Most of the time I use half Heavy Cream and half - Half and Half, or in other words 1 1/3 cups heavy cream and 2/3 cups milk. I generally buy Heavy Cream because it can be cut with milk to make Half and Half. The sauce seems to thicken better than straight Half and Half but using all Heavy Cream is too thick.
- *Tip: The sauce is excellent over Redfish on da Half Shell - I call it Redfish Monica.
- *Options: If you don't have crawfish, use bay scallops, shrimp, lump crabmeat (add last and fold in gently).