"Kolokithia Varkoules" Cheese Zucchini Boats
The picture and recipe is from a 15 yr old greek cooking magazine, advertizing olive oil! While translating I tweeked it a bit to make my own. Hope you try and enjoy as much as my family and I do.
- 4 lb
- medium size zucchini
- 6-7 Tbsp
- olive oil
- medium size onions, finely chopped
- roasted red pepper, diced
- long green pepper,diced
- 2 c
- crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 c
- kefalotyri cheese, grated (or any other hard & salty cheese)
- 1/2 c
- sun dried tomatoes, drained of oil and chopped
- 1 c
- finely chopped dill (leaves & stems)
- 1 c
- strained greek yogurt
- 1/2 c
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a dash of mrs dash original (that's the only kind i have:)
How to Make "Kolokithia Varkoules" Cheese Zucchini Boats
- 1Wash and trim the stems off of the zucchini. Blanch zucchini whole in a large pot of salted boiling water, for 5 - 10 minutes until tender but not mushy. This will make it easier to hollow out the centers and cut down on cooking time.
- 2Slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise and scoop out the centers of the zucchini. Be careful not to puncture the skin. Try to leave about a 1/4 inch thickness of flesh to give the zucchini support. Chop the flesh and set aside to drain. Also set skins aside with scooped side facing down and let drain.
- 3In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add diced peppers, the chopped zucchini flesh, season with salt and pepper and saute for 5 more minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and add both cheeses (Feta & Kefalotyri or other hard salty cheese), the sun dried tomatoes, dill and stir to combine.
- 5Fill the zucchini with the cooked mixture, pressing lightly to even the surface. Place them on a lightly greased (I use oil) sheet pan.
- 6Preheat at 375 degrees
In a bowl mix the yogurt, egg, salt & pepper and a dash of Mrs. Dash Original:) Carefully pour the yogurt mixture over the filled zucchini and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 7Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the zucchini is cooked through and breadcrumbs are lightly browned (about 20 minutes)
Ready to enjoy!