Stuffed Whiting or Dover Sole Provencal
- small whiting or dover sole
- 3 lb
- fresh spinach or (1lb frozen)
- olive oil
- large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- finely chopped parsley
- bay leaf, crumbled
- pinch of thyme
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- freshly grated breadcrumbs
- thinly sliced pieces of lemon or lemon wedges
How to Make Stuffed Whiting or Dover Sole Provencal
- 1Wash spinach carefully and remove stems (or defrost frozen spinach). Drain well. Place in a saucepan with 2 Tbsps. olive oil and cook, stirring constantly until spinach is limp. Drain spinach and finely chop.
- 2Finely saute chopped onion, parsley, crumbled bay leaf and thyme in 4 Tbsps. olive oil until golden; addfinely chopped spinach and season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Mix well. Spread 2/3 of spinach mixture in the bottom of a gratin dish.
- 3Place fish fillets open side up on a clean towel. Season generously and place a Tbsp of reserved spinach mixture on each fillet. Roll fish up tightly (starting at the broad end) and place them in rows on the bed of spinach. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, then with olive oil and bake in moderate 375 F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Serve with lemon slices or wedges.