Greek Fish Soup with Vegetables & Egg Lemon Sauce
The picture is of the fish cooking. Hope next time I remember to take a pic served. Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as we do.
KALI OREXI! ENJOY!
1fish (appropriate for boiling:cod, grouper, pike, sea bream or various types of small rock fish
8medium sized potatoes
1small bunch of celery, stalks & leaves
1small bunch of parsley
1 colive oil
1 cshort white rice
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Greek Fish Soup with Vegetables & Egg Lemon Sauce
- Choose a fish or the various small fish to weigh about 2 lbs. Remove the scales, gills & innards and wash the fish thoroughly. Then salt it/them and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes, scrape the carrots and skin the onions and put them whole in a pot, add water to cover vegetables. Cut celery, chop leaves. chop parsley and add to the pot, adding the oil and salt. Boil for about 20 minutes.
- When vegetables are almost done, sumpliment with more water and add the fish that was set aside. Allow to stew for another 20 minutes. Then once it's cooked, with a slotted spoon remove the fish on a platter and the vegetables all around. Season with salt, pepper, oregano. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Strain the liquid from the boiled fish and vegetables to remove any bits and tiny bones. If you like select a few of the boiled vegetables, mash in a blender or vegetable mill. Return puree to pot and stir into broth. Bring broth to a boil, add water if necessary and add the rice and salt if desired.
- When rice is done remove pot from heat and prepare the egg & lemon sauce.
Beat the eggs well and add the lemon juice. Gradually add a cup or two of the fish broth to the egg mixture, constantly stirring. Finally add the egg mixture to the soup, stirring til combined. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
I usually serve the soup first and then any fish and vegetables I haven't added to the soup I serve with some lemon juice and oregano. My kids prefer it with homemade mayo.
KALI OREXI! ENJOY!