Canning Sockeye Salmon How to Avoid Zombie Acopoly
We love salmon patties and salmon chowder. Today I canned 7 pints. That would give us 14 days or more of easy living if we were to experience a zombie apocalypse.
This is a how-to can salmon. NOTE: You MUST have a pressure canner to can salmon! You will find my recipe for salmon patties on JAP.
PS I can the heads, flippers and bellies for our dogs.
- 7-8 lb
How to Make Canning Sockeye Salmon How to Avoid Zombie Acopoly
- 2Heat water in pressure canner to boiling. Boil jars for at least 5 minutes...remove to drain and dry
- 4Add 1/2 tsp of salt to each sanitized jar. Pack jars with salmon---Skins facing the outside of the jar. Only pack to 1/2" of the top of the jar. Do not add any liquid.
- 10After time is up, turn off the heat and allow the canner to come to rest. The pressure release valve will go back down.
- 11IMPORTANT: When you lift the lid off the canner, lift the lid away from you. This will prevent scalding/burning yourself and fogging your glasses.
- 12You might hear the jars sealing themselves before you even lift them out of the canner that is ok. Transfer the hot jars to a dry clean surface. (I like to use a bath towel)