Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
- 2 medium
- russet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 lb
- chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless, cut into quarters
- 1 lb
- chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into halves
- 4 c
- chicken broth, low salt & low fat
- 3 large
- celery stalks, thinly sliced
- jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 2 tsp
- cumin, ground
- 1 clove
- garlic, crushed with press
- 2 c
- frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 c
- cilantro leaves, lightly packed, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- lime juice
- ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
- 1In a large bowl, combine potatoes and 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high 5 minutes or until tender. Drain & transfer potatoes to bowl of 7-8 quart slow cooker.
- 2Add to slow cooker, chicken, broth, celery, jalapeno, cumin, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Replace lid and cook on low 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F) but not soft.
- 3Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Using two forks, pull chicken into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- 4Stir corn, cilantro and lime juice into soup. Divide among serving bowls. Top with avocado.