Healthy Vegetarian Quinoa Cabbage Rolls
- head green cabbage
- 2 c
- cooked quinoa (you can do this the day before)
- 1 medium
- vadalia onion
- 1-5 oz. pkg
- baby kale
- 1 tsp
- dried oregano
- 1/2 c
- spaghetti sauce (i used garlic and herb)
- 2 Tbsp
- whole coconut milk (i used canned organic)
- 1 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp
- dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Healthy Vegetarian Quinoa Cabbage Rolls
- 1Fill a large pot with water. Core the cabbage as deeply as possible. Bring the water to a boil and add the cabbage then simmer for several minutes to loosen the outer leaves of the cabbage.
- 2Lightly oil a 13x9" casserole dish and set aside. Now prepare your sauce.
- 3Saute the onion in some butter or oil until transparent. Add the 5 oz. of kale. It will break down to nearly nothing, but the flavor will be there.
- 4Add the oregano and spaghetti sauce. Let this simmer for a 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cooked quinoa, tomato paste, coconut milk, parsley, salt and pepper. Simmer a few more moments. Taste. Always taste to adjust seasonings.
- 5Now check the cabbage, if the outer leaves are soft take the cabbage out of the pot and removed the bad leaves and recycle them. Remove what leaves you can from the cabbage. If the leaves under the ones you removed are stiff put the cabbage back into the water. Let the cabbage simmer for a little while longer. Remove the rib from the center of the cabbage leaf being careful not to cut right through. It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it's easy.
- 6Scoop out a healthy tablespoon of the filling on to one of the cabbage leaves. You will note that the cabbage leaves tend to fold in on themselves. Put the filling into the leaf just above where you took out the rib. Fold the end away from you over the filling, then fold the sides together, then roll it up and set seam side down into your baking dish.
- 7I got 18 rolls out of this recipe. Spread some more spaghetti sauce over the rolls (see photo) and add a little more salt and pepper on top.
- 8Bake in a 350'F oven for about 30 minutes. I used my convection toaster oven so it took about 35 minutes. In any case make sure the rolls are heated through and the sauce is bubbly.
- 9Serve warm with some sour cream if you like.