Elaine's Swiss Steak
2 lbeye of the round steak about 3/4 inch thick
1 largeonion, sliced
114 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cbeef bouillon or 1 beef cube plus 1 c. water
2 Tbspworcestershire sauce
·pepper to taste
·seasoned flour to dredge the meat
How to Make Elaine's Swiss Steak
- Cut the steak into serving size pieces (about 4 ounces). Coat in seasoned flour and brown in fat in a dutch oven. Add more fat if needed.
- Remove browned meat to a platter. Put sliced onions into the pot and sweat them for a few minutes to deglaze the pot.
- Add the meat back to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients. Bring it back to a simmer.
Cover and put in a 250 degree F. oven to cook for 4 hours.
- When meat is tender remove pot from oven. Remove the meat from the gravy. Thicken the gravy with a couple of tablespoons of seasoned flour and allow to simmer for a few minutes to cook the flour
- Add the meat back to the pot.
Serve with rice, mashed potato or noodles and garnish with chopped parsley.