"Briam" - Oven Roasted Vegetable Casserole
Vegetables are baked in a savory tomato sauce and served either as the main meal or as a tasty side dish. This is a traditional recipe. When I make this dish I omit the eggplant as I'm not a fan. If not fasting and would like extra flavor add some crumbled feta cheese to the dish when serving.
Kali Orexi! Have a good appetite!
- 2 lb
- eggplant, peeled, cut in egg-sized chunks
- 2 lb
- zucchini, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 in. round slices
- green bell peppers, seeded & cut in chunks
- potatoes, peeled & cut in walnut sized pieces
- medium sized tomatoes, halved, seeded & grated, skins discarded
- medium sized onions, sliced
- garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 c
- dry white wine
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1/2 c
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- several fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make "Briam" - Oven Roasted Vegetable Casserole
- 1Combine all washed and cut vegetables in a large shallow ovenproof casserole or baking dish. Add dry white wine, olive oil, herbs, salt & pepper.
- 2Bake the briam, stirring occasionaly, in a moderate 315^F (190^ C) oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Or until vegetables are tender. Add a little boiling water if necessary to prevent sticking. Serve hot or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Feta cheese is a great addition crumbled on top or a slice on the side of the plate. Also don't forget some crusty bread to dip in the delicious savory sauce:)