Beef Brisket with Cabbage
Recipe from: Margaret Mitchell's Mealtime Magic, Meat and Poultry Cookery. Copy Right 1951
- 4-5 lb
- flat, beef brisket
- onions, sliced
- whole cloves
- bay leaf
- clove garlic, peeled, quartered
- stalk celery
- peeled, carrot
- sprigs parsley
- cabbage head, quartered and cored
How to Make Beef Brisket with Cabbage
- 3Cover; bring to a boil; reduce heat to low; simmer 3 1/2-5 hours or until meat is tender; remove any scum, that might appear.
- 6Horseradish Sauce:
1 c. whipping cream
1 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 T. bottled horseradish
1/8 t. salt (optional)
Whip cream; add remaining ingredients; blend thoroughly. Makes approx. 2 1/2 c.
- 7My Notes:
1. This can also be cooked in crockpot or slow cooker. However, I would not add as much water as recipe calls for, since slow cookers tend to accumulate moisture.
2. Potatoes can also be added to the meat, but I would remove vegetables that were added at the beginning, then add potatoes before the cabbage.
3. Other vegetables that can be added along with potatoes are turnips, rutabagas and carrots.