Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 can(s)plum tomatoes (large cans)
1 can(s)tomato sauce (16 oz)
2onions, yellow, medium, chopped
1bell pepper, chopped
8 clovegarlic, chopped
4 Tbspitalian seasoning
1 cdry red wine (any kind)
1 cmushrooms, fresh sliced
·salt and pepper to taste when done
How to Make Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
- In food processor or by hand, chop eggplant,onions, bell pepper,garlic. Carrots may be chopped instead of shredded also.
- In a Dutch Oven, heat oil. Add all chopped vegetables. Saute over medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Vegetables will cook down by about half.
- Add the cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce,Italian Seasoning,Bay Leaves, and 1/4 of the wine.
- Simmer for 3 hours. Each hour add 1/4 cup of wine. You will need to stir the sauce about every half hour. At the 3rd hour add mushrooms. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve over any type of pasta (I use whole wheat) Sprinkle with Romano Cheese or a blend Asiago,Romano and Parmesian cheeses.
- While simmering you may leave this chunky or mash down for a smoother sauce.
Does not cook well in a crock pot as it is too acidic.
I usually make this when I am going to be home all day.
Tastes even better the following day.