Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
- 2 can(s)
- plum tomatoes (large cans)
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce (16 oz)
- onions, yellow, medium, chopped
- bell pepper, chopped
- carrot, shredded
- eggplant, cubed
- 8 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp
- italian seasoning
- 1 c
- dry red wine (any kind)
- 1 c
- mushrooms, fresh sliced
- bay leaves
- 1/2 c
- salt and pepper to taste when done
How to Make Vegetarian Pasta Sauce
- 1In food processor or by hand, chop eggplant,onions, bell pepper,garlic. Carrots may be chopped instead of shredded also.
- 2In a Dutch Oven, heat oil. Add all chopped vegetables. Saute over medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Vegetables will cook down by about half.
- 3Add the cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce,Italian Seasoning,Bay Leaves, and 1/4 of the wine.
- 4Simmer for 3 hours. Each hour add 1/4 cup of wine. You will need to stir the sauce about every half hour. At the 3rd hour add mushrooms. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 5Serve over any type of pasta (I use whole wheat) Sprinkle with Romano Cheese or a blend Asiago,Romano and Parmesian cheeses.
- 6While simmering you may leave this chunky or mash down for a smoother sauce.
Does not cook well in a crock pot as it is too acidic.
I usually make this when I am going to be home all day.
Tastes even better the following day.