Cathie's Eggplant Sauce or Stew
catherine anne hayes ulasinski
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2red onion ( or other onion you have on hand ) chopped into very small pieces
3heaping spoonfuls minced garlic or whole head garlic minced
·extra virgin olive oil
2small cans tomato paste
2cups pureed tomatoes or 2 large cans pureed tomatoes
2cups chopped tomatoes or 2 medium cans tomatoes
·generous cup of red wine ( or red wine vinegar )
·squirt of agave or spoonful of coconut palm sugar ( or if you must regular white sugar )
How to Make Cathie's Eggplant Sauce or Stew
- 1. First Peel off the skins of the eggplants then chop them into small cubes. Then chop your onion into small pieces and your garlic if you are not using the jarred kind.
- 2. Coat the bottom of your pot with the extra virgin olive oil and heat up but do not let it get smoky. Put in your onions first to cook for a couple of minutes till they get soft then add your garlic. Stir and cook an additional couple of minutes.
- 3. Add the eggplant to the pot and cook it till it gets kind of mushy. You may have to add additional extra virgin olive oil to the pot. Just stir it in. Make sure you stir the eggplant as it is cooking down.
- 4. When the eggplant is mushy first add to the pot the tomato paste. Stir it in. Then the chopped tomatoes. Stir it in. Then the pureed tomatoes. Stir it in. Mix everything well.
- 5. Add in the red wine and stir.
- 6. Now add in your herbs and seasonings. That will be according to your tastes. I like a lot of basil and a sprinkling of oregano and rosemary. I shake the pepper on top.
- 7. Last…add agave or coconut palm sugar and stir.
- 8. Now let cook for a couple of hours. I like to let it cook for a while and then taste to see if it is ready. The longer it cooks the better!!