Faced with so many dietary restrictions and challenges amongst my family and friends I made this recipe up. It makes EVERYONE happy and it is an all time favourite! You can eat it on it's own or put it over your favourite non gluten or regular pasta. It also makes a very tasty and interesting pizza topping with cheese!!
11. First Peel off the skins of the eggplants then chop them into small cubes. Then chop your onion into small pieces and your garlic if you are not using the jarred kind.
22. Coat the bottom of your pot with the extra virgin olive oil and heat up but do not let it get smoky. Put in your onions first to cook for a couple of minutes till they get soft then add your garlic. Stir and cook an additional couple of minutes.
33. Add the eggplant to the pot and cook it till it gets kind of mushy. You may have to add additional extra virgin olive oil to the pot. Just stir it in. Make sure you stir the eggplant as it is cooking down.
44. When the eggplant is mushy first add to the pot the tomato paste. Stir it in. Then the chopped tomatoes. Stir it in. Then the pureed tomatoes. Stir it in. Mix everything well.
55. Add in the red wine and stir.
66. Now add in your herbs and seasonings. That will be according to your tastes. I like a lot of basil and a sprinkling of oregano and rosemary. I shake the pepper on top.
77. Last…add agave or coconut palm sugar and stir.
88. Now let cook for a couple of hours. I like to let it cook for a while and then taste to see if it is ready. The longer it cooks the better!!