Delhi Style Chicken Curry in a Hurry
- 1 cut up whole chicken, skinless, washed & cut into 8-10 pieces
- 3 tbs oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ginger, minced
- 2 tsp kashmiri mirch (or 1 tsp paprika plus 1 tsp cayenne powder)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs white poppy seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green chilies, roughly chopped (optional, for less heat omit or remove seeds)
- 2 tsp salt
GRIND TO PASTE FOR MARINADE-
How to Make Delhi Style Chicken Curry in a Hurry
- 1Grind all ingredients listed under marinade to a smooth paste in a mixie, blender or food processor.
- 2Coat chicken pieces well with marinade paste. Allow chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour up to overnight in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 3Heat oil in deep, heavy bottomed skillet or kadhai, and fry sliced onions over medium heat until translucent & beginning to brown at the edges.
- 4Add chicken pieces with marinade paste to frying onions in skillet or kadhai. Be careful as oil may spatter. Add 1 cup water to mixture & continue to simmer uncovered over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Be sure to simmer this dish uncovered, it may boil over if covered. If mixture begins to burn, scorch, or stick, stir in 1/2 to 1 cup water & reduce heat.
- 5When the oil has separated from the marinade mixture & the chicken is cooked through your curry is ready. Salt to taste & serve.
- 6Helpful hints-
Never cook chicken in a pressure cooker, it gets a rubbery texture from the extreme, high heat.
Don't have poppy seeds? Substitute 1 TBS ground almonds or cashews.
Don't have Kashmiri mirch? Substitute a mixture of 1/2 cayenne powder plus 1/2 sweet paprika.
Don't have yogurt? Use milk or cream.