- 2-3 lb
- ground beef
- 2 pkg
- saltine crackers
- 1/2 can(s)
- canned milk
- 1 Tbsp
- dry mustard
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- green onion finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp
- garlic powder
- snack-sized cup apple sauce
- ketchup for topping
- mexican blend, colby-jack, cheddar, pepper-jack, shredded cheese
- 1-2 can(s)
- tomato soup
How to Make Mom's Meatloaf
- 1Break up meat in large mixing bowl
- 2Empty crackers into plastic bag, add chopped onion, seal bag, take a tenderizing mallet and pulverize together. Pour into bowl with meat.
- 3Chop onion the way you like, whether you prefer small pieces to bigger chunks. As for the green onion, I had the ends of a bunch left in the fridge, so I removed the roots, washed them off and chopped bulbs and scallion stalk as fine as I could to add to the mixture. Add onions.
- 4Add remaining ingredients, milk according to how moist/dry the mixture is. Mix well either by hand or if you're the proud owner of a Kitchen Aid mixer, let it do the work.
- 5Spray glass or metal baking pan with cooking spray, form into loaf depending on the pan, place in pan. In our house not everyone likes ketchup as a topping so we cover half the loaf with ketchup and half is left unscathed. Cover with lid or foil, shiny side down.
- 6Bake for about an hour @ 375, 350 if a glass baking dish is used. With this I don't preheat the oven. I place the meatloaf in the oven and turn the oven on - everything acclimates together.
- 7AS FOR THE OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS: whether you make this stovetop or oven, shredded cheese can be added to taste. Mom used to make meatloaf stovetop in a tomato soup sauce. When she did that she'd brown the loaf both sides and place it in the pot with the soup - ketchup wasn't used as topping . the meatloaf seasoned the soup nicely, but it did take a couple of hours to cook over low heat.
I imagine you could finagle baking it that way in an oven, and of course a crock pot would work, but in either case the loaf should be browned first.