Lip Smacking Caramel Apples
Now that my kids are adults, I can make them as they were intended, in batches of 10, instead of the "fundraiser 50". I now make a batch every year for those "special" trick-or-treaters that come knocking on my door on Halloween. Enjoy!
- 1 cup chopped, salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- dash of salt
- 14 oz. can **sweetened** condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 10 large eating apples (we like granny smiths)
- 10 wooden sticks or popsicle sticks
How to Make Lip Smacking Caramel Apples
- 1Note: If using store bought apples, it's a good idea to dunk them into boiling water for about 30 seconds before beginning, then drying very well. Some stores use a waxy coating which can make the caramel slide off as it cools. Try to use apples fresh from the farmer, farmer's market or orchard to prevent this. Here's how to de-wax the apples: pillsbury.com/...aramel-apple-how-to
- 2Butter a cookie sheet and set aside. Place chopped peanuts in a deep-sided pie plate or bowl. Place stick into each apple.
- 3Melt butter in saucepan. Then add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally 10-12 minutes or until mixture comes to a full low boil.
- 4Stir in **sweetened** condensed milk. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally 20-25 minutes or until a small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a firm ball or candy thermometer reaches 245 degrees. (I always use a candy thermometer.)
- 5Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Dip apples into caramel then roll in peanuts. Place on buttered cookie sheet to cool. Store in refrigerator in individual treat bags tied with ribbon.