Also called Chayote and Vegetable Pear, it is part of the squash family but you'd never believe you were eating squash with it's mild sweet flavor. Mirlitons are most commonly stuffed with a mixture of seasonings, herbs and ground meat or seafood.
- 3 large
- mirlitons, seed removed, peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 1 stick
- butter, softened
- 3/4 c
- 1 c
- bisquick mix
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- 1 c
- pecan pieces
- uncooked pie crust (optional)
How to Make Mirliton Pie
- 3Put mashed mirliton in a clean, lint free dish towel and twist to squeeze out most of the liquid.
- 4If not using a pie crust, grease a 9-inch glass pie pan or square baking pan with shortening or margarine.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Beat together softened butter and sugar until light and creamy. By hand, mix in Bisquick, mirliton pulp and eggs. Then add cinnamon, vanilla and pecan pieces.
- 7Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.
*Variation: Add shredded coconut to mixture if desired.