Shortbread Bar Cookies
Strawberry, raspberry, or cherry would be perfect for Valentine's Day!
And two recipes -- 1 cherry, 1 blueberry -- would be ideal for Independence Day gatherings.
How to Make Shortbread Bar Cookies
- 1Combine flour and powdered sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- 2With a pastry blender, cut in the softened butter, til mixture resembles coarse crumbs, or pulse in a food processor.
- 3Spread half the mixture into a 9x13" baking dish that has been prepared with food release spray.
(it doesn't say whether or not you should press the mixture, but I think I would)
- 4Bake 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown.
Remove the pan to a cooling rack. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- 5Spread the fruit pie filling over the crust.
Sprinkle the remaining crust mixture over the top of the fruit filling, as evenly as possible.
Gently press the top crust down with a metal spatula.
- 6Return the pan to the oven, and bake another 30-35 minutes, or until the top crust is lightly golden.
Remove from oven and cool completely to room temp.
Cover the pan and refrigerate the bars until thoroughly chilled.
Cut into brownie-sized pieces. If you wish, garnish with powdered sugar.
- 7** You may use another berry filling, such as raspberry or blueberry, or other fruit pie filling, as you prefer.
NOTE: If you choose a fruit filling with larger fruit pieces (like peach, cherry, apple, apricot, etc.) cut the fruit pieces into smaller bits, or pulse briefly in the food processor.