Fudge (quick and easy fool proof fudge!)
You can also pour this fudge while it's hot over a pan of fresh out of the oven brownies, but you have to line the whole brownie pan with foil or you'll never be able to get them out.
I have always used the Nestle brand chips because I can get them cheaper in bulk.
- 3 c
- chocolate chips, semi sweet are the best (i have tried this with white chocolate chips & it does not work)
- 1 can(s)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk **not evaporated milk**
- 1 dash(es)
- small dash of salt, this is optional
- 1 c
- chopped walnuts, or nuts of your choice. this turns out just fine if you omit the nuts also.
- 1 1/2 tsp
- of good quality vanilla extract, if you don't have any on hand just leave it out
- 1 tsp
- either butter or margarine
How to Make Fudge (quick and easy fool proof fudge!)
- 1Do not try to double this recipe (it will burn), it will not work. Make one batch at a time.
- 2Line a 8 or 9 inch square pan with tin foil extending over the edges of the pan.
- 3Pour sweetened condensed milk into heavy sauce pan over very low heat, add the butter or margarine, and pinch of salt. Stir until melted, if this mixture ever starts to boil your heat is on way too high.
- 4Add the chips one cup at a time to the condensed milk mixture over low heat while stiring constantly. Wait to add the next cup of chips until your first cup has melted, doing this until all 3 cups are added. This mix will be very thick.
- 5Take chocolate off the heat & quickly stir in 1 cup of whatever nuts you have chosen & the vanilla extract. If you choose to omit these the recipe will be just fine.
- 6Pour the warm chocolate into you foil lined pan while smoothing the mix into the corners, let cool for 2 hours until firm, and then cut into squares (after peeling off the foil) Keep in an airtight container, and this is best if only made one day ahead because the fudge will start to lose its shine & dry out on day 3 (still tastes good just not as pretty if you are giving it as gifts)