Cream of Tartar Instead of Corn Syrup
I learned this from my high school home economics teacher but ignored it for 40 years!!
HFCS is a processed food that the body absorbs almost twice as fast as regular sugar. This means it raises blood sugar, higher and faster, than almost any other sweetener and is making our nation fatter because it is hidden in so many things. Skip it and make it yourself -- for your health!!
How to Make Cream of Tartar Instead of Corn Syrup
- 1Combine all ingredients in a heavy sauce pan. Stir, bringing to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat to simmer and put a cover on for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan.
- 3Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage (235° F–240° F). Stir often.
- 4Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep 2 months. Yield: almost 2 cups.
- 5For dark corn syrup add 1/4 cup molasses to the above recipe.