Banana Walnut Loaf with Easy Banana Frosting
- 1 1/2 c flour, unbleached
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 stick butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 1/4 c mashed ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 t vanilla extract (do not use vanilla flavoring)
- 1/2 c sour cream or 1/2 c vanilla or plain yogurt
- 1/2 c crushed walnuts
- 1 can white frosting (white, not vanilla)
- banana extract
How to Make Banana Walnut Loaf with Easy Banana Frosting
- 1Using mixer cream butter till fluffy. Add sugar to this and blend well. Add eggs one at a time mixing well in between each egg.
- 2In seperate bowl sift flour, baking soda and salt.
- 3Add a third of the dry mix and a third of the mashed banana to the creamed butter mix, blending well. then repeat this until all dry mix and bananas are blended into creamed butter mixture.
- 4Now add your vanilla and blend in. Then blend in sour cream or yogurt (i used sour cream) gently until well mixed. Add cinnamon and blend into batter. Now fold in walnuts.
- 5Using a non stick loaf pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray (or lined with parchment paper) Pour batter into pan.
- 6Place pan into preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for about an hour (checking after 45 minutes by inserting toothpick into center, if it comes out clean it is done. Top of bread should be firm not jiggly)
- 7Allow to cool on wire rack.
- 8Invert onto plate or tray and allow to cool completely. (you may have to run a butter knife gently around pan to loosen, and/or tap gently on bottom. make sure cake is cooled so it doesnt fall apart when inverted)
- 9Empty 1/2 to 3/4 can of white icing into a small bowl. Add banana extract and stir until completely blended. taste frosting and add additional extract until it is the flavor you desire. Frost top of cake with banana frosting. (it may drizzle down sides)
- 10Enjoy with a cup of coffee, iced coffee or maybe a scoop of ice cream (i like banana or vanilla)