Sherry's 2 times the apple-strudel
- 3 large
- golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
- dried apple slices, coarsely chopped. i buy the dried fruit in the produce aisle
- 1/2 c
- no sugar added, apple juice
- 1/3 c
- dark raisins
- 1/3 c
- zing, sugar baking substitute, or sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- 3/4 c
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, melted
- gingersnap cookies
- sheets of frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- sprinkling of powdered sugar
How to Make Sherry's 2 times the apple-strudel
- 1Filling: Combine fresh apples and dried apples, apple juice, raisins, Zing, ( or sugar,) cornstarch and cinnamon in lg non-stick skillet. Place the heat at medium and cook, stirring, until apples are very tender and mix is a little thickened.
- 2Stir in vanilla. Set aside to let cool. In food processor, combine walnuts and gingersnap cookies. Pulse until finely ground. Heat oven to 375. Spray a lg baking sheet w/ cooking spray, or you could line w/ parchment paper to keep from sticking. Reserve 2 tsp of the melted butter. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a clean kitchen towel. Lightly brush w/ some of the remaining butter.
- 3Top w/ another sheet of phyllo dough, lightly brush w/ butter. Sprinkle w/ 1 tbsp of cookie-crumb mix. Repeat layering with the dough, cookie-crumb mix and butter, ending w/ a sheet of phyllo dough. Spoon apple filling over phyllo, leaving a 2" border. Using the kitchen towel, start rolling up at the long side, jelly-roll style and then cut strudel in 1/2. Place strudel halves, seam-side down on baking sheet. Brush w/ reserved butter. W/ a small, sharp knife, make 7 evenly-spaced cuts through top layers of phyllo, trying not to cut all the way through. Do this to each strudel. Bake about 40-45 mins, or until a golden color and the fruit is bubbly. Let cool. Sprinkle with just a little powdered sugar and slice the strudel through the cuts you already made.