Super Easy Baked Falafel (Chick Pea Patties)
Falafel are Mediterranean chickpea patties and a delicious way to add healthy vegetable proteins to your diet. Traditionally, falafel are garlicky and deep fat fried. These are baked, bringing the calorie count down to about 50 per patty.
- 1 lb
- dried chick peas (garbanzo beans, ceci)
- 1 bunch
- cilantro or other fresh herb
- 1 large
- sweet potato (optional)
- 1 c
- sunflower seeds or other seeds or nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- cumin, ground
- 1 tsp
- cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper, ground
- 1 large
- lemon, juice only
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, if needed to prevent sticking
How to Make Super Easy Baked Falafel (Chick Pea Patties)
- 3Drain the beans and pulse in the food processor until an evenly chunky consistency. Do not make a paste or the resulting falafel will be dense and unpleasant. Do this is several batches to avoid overloading the processor.
Move all but about one cup of the processed beans to a large bowl. Leave the remaining beans in the food processor.
- 7Peel and shred or grate the sweet potato, using the shredding blade on the processor if you have one. Alternatively, use cooked sweet potato.
Hint: the easiest way to cook a sweet potato is to wrap it, still in its skin, in foil and bake in a medium oven until a fork easily pierces the foil and potato. The sweet potato may then be scooped out of its skin with a spoon.
Do this when you have the oven on for other reasons. The time it takes will vary with size of the potato and oven temperature but allow about an hour. Put a second layer of foil under under the potato to catch any drips of sugary liquid that will stick and burn. The potato will keep, still wrapped in its foil, in the refrigerator for several days before use.