1 lbjimmy dean breakfast sausage, hot or mild
1 Tbspbacon grease, butter or margarine
1 largeonion, diced
1 largebell pepper, seeded and diced
5 largepotatoes, cooked
8 largeeggs, beaten
1 bunchgreen onions, sliced (optional)
2tomatoes, seeded & diced (optional)
·salt & pepper to taste
2+ cgrated sharp cheddar (or any cheese you like)
How to Make Breakfast Mess
- Poke potato skins several times with a fork and put them in the microwave on high for 5-10 minutes. The potatoes need to be soft and cooked through but not mushy.
Remove from microwave and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Peel the skin from the potatoes and discard. Chop the potatoes in 1 inch chunks and lightly salt and pepper them, then set aside.
- In a large skillet, on medium heat, cook sausage until brown. Remove sausage to paper towel lined bowl to drain. Pour off the grease from the skillet.
- Melt the bacon grease, butter or margarine over medium heat and add the diced onions & peppers. Stir to coat and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the diced potatoes and cook until heated through and onions are transparent.
- Add the sausage to the potato mixture and stir well.
- Add the beaten eggs green onions and tomatoes then stir well. Continue to stir occasionally until the eggs nearly cooked. Don't over stir or you'll break up the potatoes.
- Options: If you prefer not to scramble the eggs into the casserole, then once everything is cooked, crack the eggs, one at a time on top of the casserole. Cover and cook over low until whites are cooked and yellow is still runny.
Instead of bulk breakfast sausage, use 1 pound of bacon cooked crisp and coarsely chopped, use fried ham steak cut into chunks, or use all three!
The more cheese, the better - I like sharp cheddar and colby jack mixed together.