1 lbjimmy dean breakfast sausage, (optional)hot or mild
1 Tbspbacon grease, butter or margarine
1 mediumonion, diced
1 mediumbell pepper, seeded and diced
1 - 2 largepotatoes, peeled and diced
8 largeeggs, beaten
1 bunchgreen onions, sliced
·salt & pepper to taste
2 cgrated sharp cheddar (or any cheese you like)
2 Tbspolive oil
1 - 2 Tbspbutter or margarine
How to Make Breakfast Mess
- Melt Olive Oil And Butter In large skillet and pan fry potatoes, stirring often to crisp on each side. Sprinkle a little salt & pepper on potatoes while cooking. When done remove from heat and transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- In a same skillet, on medium heat, cook sausage until brown. Remove sausage to paper towel lined bowl to drain. Pour off the grease from the skillet.
- In same skillet melt the bacon grease, butter or margarine over medium heat and add the diced onions & peppers. Stir to coat and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and potatoes to the onion and pepper mixture and stir well.
- Add the beaten eggs and green onions then stir well. Continue to stir occasionally until the eggs are nearly cooked. Don't over stir or you'll break up the potatoes.
- Options: If you prefer not to scramble the eggs into the casserole, then once everything is cooked, crack the eggs, one at a time on top of the casserole. Cover and cook over low until whites are cooked and yellow is still runny.
Instead of bulk breakfast sausage, use 1 pound of bacon cooked crisp and coarsely chopped, use fried ham steak cut into chunks, or use all three!
The more cheese, the better - I like sharp cheddar and colby jack mixed together.