Tsoureki -Easter Bread
This ia a rich brioche- moist and fluffy- and chewy.
Custom dictates that eggs, dyed a scarlet red, be baked in the braided crown of this Greek Easter Bread. Many nationalities make this same recipe , under different names.
France and USA have King Cake.
Kulich of Russia and Jewish Challah bread are all similar.Delicious!
- 3 1/4 tsp
- (a little over 1 tablespoon) dry active yeast
- 2/3 c
- light brown sugar,packed
- 1 c
- warm milk-not hot (105^ to 110^)
- 5 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon zest
- 2 tsp
- crushed anise seed
- 1/2 tsp
- 7 large
- eggs (3 of the eggs left whole, dyed red ,uncooked just dyed ) be careful so they don't break-
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large
- egg white (lightly beaten) use the yolk with the 4 eggs above
How to Make Tsoureki -Easter Bread
- 1Make dough:
Coat a large bowl with oil and set aside.
Dissolve the yeast and 1 Tablespoon brown sugar in the heated milk in a small bowl.
Combine 4 1/2 cups flour, remaining sugar, zest,anise, and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with paddle attachment and mix on low speed.
- 2Add the 4 undyed eggs and the extra yolk, the yeast mixture, and the melted butter and continue to mix on low speed until a firm dough forms, adding more flour if necessary.
- 3Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until it is soft and elastic-- about 10 minutes.
Form dough into a ball and transfer it to the prepared oiled bowl, turning to coat all sides with oil.
- 4Cover with a clean, damp kitchen towel and set aside to rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- 5Shape the loaf:
Preheat oven to 350^.
Punch down dough, turn out onto a lightly floured board, and divide into 3 equal parts. Using palms of your hands, roll out one piece to create a 2 1/2 foot long rope.
- 6Repeat with the remaining 2 dough pieces.
Braid the 3 strands together and seal the ends under each other to create a circle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Place the dyed eggs carefully and evenly spaced, in the grooves of the braid, cover with atowell, and let rise until doubled- about 40 minutes.
- 7To bake bread:
Brush the loaf with the beaten egg white and bake until loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped-- about 30 minutes.
Transfer the finished loaf to a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature. The eggs are now cooked perfect.